"You be the mule, I'll be the plow - come Harvest time, we'll work it out." ~ Nancy Griffith
It's that time again, yes that grueling time where my life becomes one long blur down FM 651, where the focus of my day is whether a truck is overweight. I begin to literally live & breath sorghum. Yes. This cowgirl from below the Cap is up here with the flatlanders harvesting sorghum. O the joys of my job. So I'll see you all around Christmas when I can peek my head out from behind the cloud of grain & dust...someday I'll ride the trail again, but for now, it's on to my post - the scales of mighty Crosbyton Seed Company.
I wonder how well Kam will handle it this year....
My first harvest with CSCO proved tough on not only me, but him as well. My mind got weak, my heart got weary and our relationship got strained. The CSCO troops went over 25 days without a day off - late nights & early mornings wore on my mind and my nerves. Kam grew tired of never having me home, of never eating a homecooked meal and of never knowing what time I'd actually get to head home.
My second harvest proved somewhat easier - less phone calls asking WHEN I was heading home or what the plan for the weekend was. But still, lots of complaints in the housekeeping/cooking department. We didn't work as many days with out a day off, so there were no panic attacks involved (which was a BIG plus for my mental state of mind).
Now, my 3rd harvest (aka this year) has been dragging. I've only worked one weekend thus far and there's only been a few really late nights. But now that the weather seems to be holding, next week we should get to see the bottom fall out. I cannot believe how ready I am, but with such a late start, I hope things come fast & furious.
And...I really really really don't want to work this weekend...it's the TBMBR, baby! And my all time favorite Hooker, Mr. Jake Hooker that is, is playing the dance! So if CSCO needs me Sunday morning, they better be prepared for one rough version of WHIT because this lil lady is gonna live it up on Saturday night! :)
We'll see ya on the flip side!
WHIT
2 comments:
I feel ya, sweetie...
Hunting season is the same way, we've had a slow start and now I'm ready for it to just come on and get going and get over with.
And it's been way too long since the McNeely sisters tore it up together...and as I recall last year at TBMBR was when Bullet and Kameo became best of buds and wanted to drink til dawn...
i didnt know you had a blog! yay!
i havent blogged in a fo fillion weeks. yay!
Post a Comment