Today I was at the pharmacy, (picking up an antibiotic because I have a stinking ear infection...ugh), and this older man was purchasing his diabetes medication. We were standing in line when the lady at the counter came and told him his insurance wouldn't cover his insulin and it was going to be $150 + his other medication. He looked concerned, frustrated, upset, but he quietly paid for the other medicine and walked out with out his insulin. No one cared, no one was concerned. He didn't have the money so he had to leave without it. Had I had $150, I would have gotten it for him, but I didn't, I wish so badly I could have scraped it up for the guy...
So many people take advantage of programs that provide free health care, free or discounted prescriptions. In fact, while I was in the pharmacy, an obviously unemployed, single mother sat at the counter with her boobs and her crack hanging out whining and griping at the pharmicist because her son wasn't covered on her government supplied health coverage. She sat next to me and started telling me all about her 4 kids who's ages were insanely close together and who all had something "wrong" with them. She had made quite a scene over her situation, while this man quietly walked away with OUT medication he really needed.
It broke my heart and it was a prime example of what is wrong with this world. A man who needed help couldn't get it, while a girl who is perfectly capable of employment and finding some form of birth control(and maybe some full coverage clothing) made a scene because she wants more help. Granted, I know I don't know either of their full stories, but it was just a very striking scenario in a very public place.
This little rant means nothing and noone will see it, but it has bothered me all day. Writing makes me feel better...
On another note: I really do have a stupid ear infection and the beginnings of a respiratory infection. O the fun. Kye has had a double ear infection which seems to be clearing up, but he's still got a runny nose, poor boy. It's driving him crazy that I'm not letting him play outside as much. :( Hopefully our house is on the mend and all these bugs and infections will LEAVE us alone soon!
God Bless and remember to help those who need help as often as you can. It's a great feeling...even when it might put you in a bind or slow your plans down...it's always worth it, whether it be a dollar to a homeless man, $5 in the Salvation Army bucket, dropping clothes in a donation box, buying a t-shirt that supports a great cause or leaving your extra change in the McDonald House drop box at McD's (the McDonald House is a FANTASTIC program if you are looking for something to donate to, btw)...or maybe even shelling over some bigger bucks to help a man out (I really wish I would have today, it's really weighing heavy on my heart). Be kind. Be happy. I'm out.
The end.
Peace, Love & silly, stupid ear infections,
W
1 comment:
Love your huge heart!! Literally makes me sick!!
~Jennifer~
Post a Comment