When I'm older, I imagine I'll be something like Katharine Hepburn in 'Rooster Cogburn'. Full of grit and spirit. Full of God's word with just enough hardened edges to keep that edge, that spunk.
--------------------------
Side Note:
At the end of the movie, she says something that always makes me think of my daddy...I always imagine my dear mother might say something like this to him:
"... Livin' with you has been an adventure any woman would relish for the rest o' time. I look at cha, with your burned out face and your big belly and your bear-like paws and your shining eye(s), and I have to say you're a credit to the whole male sex, and I'm proud to have ya for my friend..."
--------------------------
Maybe I'll work in my flower beds with a flower pot on my head like Aunt Mattie Belle did. Now she was a tough old bird. She had grit. She was plain and tall, but she was beautiful.
My great grandmother, she toted my Pa while she pulled cotton, she raised two boys, kept a perfect home and a perfect yard and expected the same from others, she lived through the depression all the way to the age of 97. She was a tiny thing, but her presence was something to be reckoned with. She had grit.
My Gran Gran. She is the epitomy of strength. Lived through scarlett fever, fought off west nile & sleeping sickness (that's what I call it any ways), she's lived through some tough times and yet her calm, sweet demeanor has never faltered. She's got such a gentle spirit, but she's one of the strongest people I have ever met.
NaNaw. O sweet NaNaw. She married a bull headed man, raised a bull headed son and a red headed daughter. She kept a song in her heart and a smile on her face, no matter what. She was so strong and beautiful and vibrant. Big jewelry, loud clothes and kickin' boots...she had style. She had grit.
My mother. A cowboy's wife, but a cowgirl in her own right. She has a way with horses that she learned from her daddy, (my Pa). My mother has had to find strength when nothing else was to be found. Her faith is resounding, Her strength is admireable. And if you mess with her daughters, you got a load of hurt coming, I assure you...
I've said it a million times. I hope I can be half the woman these women are/were. I am blessed to have a family full of grit and grace. I've heard many stories about the ones who passed before I was around and I know with out a doubt they were strong, vibrant women as well.
A little Katharine Hepburn mixed in with those women...I think it'd be a pretty fiesty combination, just right for someone like me. ;)
Peace, Love & Grit,
W
1 comment:
I love to read your words!
Love you!
CMH
Post a Comment