Friday, February 11, 2011

Hurdles

So. I love food. I love greasy cheeseburgers and french fries. I love a good cold Dr. Pepper and I LOVE chicken fried steak smothered in my Momma's homemade stick to your ribs gravy.  I love food - the good for the soul, but not for the gut food.

So, as I mentioned previously, I've been attempting Weight Watcher's new program. I really like it. I'm doing it completely online (no obnoxious, weird and self degrading weigh-ins or meetings). I weigh once a week, I plug my meals in, keep up with the "good stuff" and add up my activity points...

The first 5 weeks were great. I lost almost 12 pounds.  But...I have hit a road block, the ever present hurdle. 

---
Once in Junior High, I was forced to run the 300 m hurdles. It was one of those terrible moments in your child hood where the fact that you're only 5'3" and you're verticle is practically 0 goes unnoticed, especially by the coach.

So there I am. I'm crouched at the starting line right next to an old friend. She's long and lean and went on to qualify for state track & field in the hurdles multiple times in high school.  As they sounded the whistle for us to begin, my short legs pounded the track. I tried to keep up, and I did...until I got to the first hurdle. 

Now, I'm not a quitter and I don't give up easily...so I back up and try again.  I back up and try again.  I remembered my coach saying "No matter what, don't touch the hurdle with your hands..." So I back up and run at the hurdle..and I kick it over.  I proceeded to kick every hurdle in front of me down.  I even beat one girl (she fell down, so it really probably didn't count, but hey whatever).  

I later found out that my ex boyfriend's parents were in the stands laughing so hard, they quit filming the winner of the race and focused on my gallant, yet totally humiliating run through the 300 m hurdles. 

Side note: later that night, I broke my ankle running....to the bathroom. Thus ending my incredible 8th grade track & field career.

---

So back to my current hurdle. As you can see, I may look like a fool, but I'm no quitter. But how do I get over this hump?  How do I get back on track and keep moving forward with this thing?  I'm doing weight watchers and Zumba and using my elliptical and I am SO ready for warmer weather so I can start my walk/jogs with my Mack-dog back up...

Why do I despise most vegetables? And why o why is fried food so dang tastey? Why does Dr. Pepper really make me feel better? Why am I an emotional eater? Why can't I get back in gear after falling off the wagon for the past 2 weeks.

I guess, I'll quit trying to jump this hurdle and just plow right through it....somehow, someway.  :)  Wish me luck!

Peace, Love & Zumba,

W




No comments: