Thursday, May 13, 2010

Soul Shine :)

Today started out as one of those days...

You know the type - woke up late, dogs won't come back in, left for work with wet hair....husband gets you to buy $50 worth of breakfast stuff at the store only to inform you that he needs to leave early for work so he can go get something at Mickey D's...to which you respond in anger & frustration...

Okay...so I yelled. Yup, I did. I yelled and I felt guilty after he left. I felt like a terrible, unsupportive wife. Why would I yell at him over breakfast food? I mean seriously...he probably spent all of $3 at McD's. What's the big deal?!

So after I realized how ridiculous I was being I called him, told him how much I loved him and that I was sorry. But this still didn't solve the guilt I was feeling over something so small and pointless.

This always leads me to believe that something else is bothering me. ..

So...I'm driving to work and I hear Dolly Parton's song, 'Better Get to Livin'.

Then, I check my emails this morning only to find my Daily Devotional & Girlfriend's in God emails screaming my name. WOW...when God's got your number, he's really got your number. Here are a few things that really spoke to me that were included in these:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope."
Psalm 119:49 (NIV)


"Choosing to laugh more than cry and finding the fun in each day was often like seeking buried treasure. But most days the good was there; it just wasn't as noticeable as the bad. Focusing on those moments felt like breath in my lungs.

My theme song was Carole King's "Beautiful" that says, "You've got to get up every morning with a smile on your face." Gray had dominated my days for far too long, the sun needed to shine in my life again."


"When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule for everything she says." Proverbs 31:26

"Before speaking, ask yourself the following questions:
T is it true
H Is it helpful
I is it inspiring
N is it necessary
K is it kind
Think before you speak. Use the five to one ratio when correcting - five positive remarks to one negative comment."


"I truly believe our greatest opportunity to impact the world is the way we love and enjoy family."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are interested in receiving these emails, go to www.crosswalk.com. It's got absolutely great daily emails - always a good pick-me-up.

After I read those emails, I cruised on over to check the news....gossip news of course. This is where I stumbled upon these 2 articles (seriously, check them out!):

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/sex/9-marriage-rules-you-should-break-1387877/

http://www.womansday.com/Articles/Family-Lifestyle/9-Marital-Bad-Habits-and-How-to-Break-Them.html

Yet again, God was talking to me. Isn't it great how He knows exactly what we need to see/hear/read exactly when we need it? Like the other day, it was raining and I was a little down in the dumps. When I looked up in the sky, I saw the most vibrant, beautiful double rainbow you've ever seen...I needed a lift, I needed to appreciate the masterpiece God allows us to enjoy on a daily basis. I felt blessed, and today I feel the same way.

I needed to remember that our tone, our words, our actions say much more than we realize sometimes. I needed to be reminded how hurtful and useless it is to be negative. I need to lift Kam up, not push him down and today God reminded me of that. He reminded me to remember just how IN love I am with my husband, my bestfriend. I am grateful for the gift of being allowed to share my life with this man. And I am grateful for an awesome God!

I reckon sometimes we all need a little SOUL shinin'!


Peace, Love & Blessings!

Mrs. McBaker ;)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

We all have those kinds of days Whit! Thanks for the encouragement. Oh! thanks too for adding an idea to our Great Dates page to share with everyone. Love it! We've done the local hotel thing a couple of times ages ago, and now that you mentioned it, I'd love to do it again soon! Hope your day was a good one!

hollybrynne said...

goosebumps!