Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Joys & Frustrations of a Small Group Bible Study

A few months ago, the Lord laid it on my heart to start a Bible Study. I fought it and fought it. I thought "who would want to go to a bible study with me???"

I mean, I drink beer, I cuss too much, I don't pray enough, I rarely go to church...I AM a sinner, after all. But my love and faith in Jesus is strong. I know He holds me in His hands, so I fought it for a while, then decided to ask a few girls.

I know we are all sinners. And I also know how often God likes to use "unlikely sources" to lead others to Him...maybe I am one of those unlikely sources....

When I finally asked, it turned out I wasn't the only sinner wanting to try something new. We have a small group of 6, including myself. We are all in our 20's - some are mothers, some of us are married, some aren't. We're just a group of young-ISH women hoping to strengthen our relationship with God while becoming more familiar with the Bible and it's teachings.

I've really gotten to know these girls. I adore each and every one of them. BUT...I'm very frustrated.

If any of you read this...please don't get offended. My goal in this was to bring us all closer to the Lord and to each other in hopes that we could all be there for each other as it is often difficult to be a young woman in a small town full of....nastiness. BUT... I'm frustrated.


I've had to cancel our sessions several times because we are all leading very busy lives. I completely understand this, but when some of them do actually come, they don't do their lessons before hand, so I spend the entire class doing an "answer" session and we all miss out on glorious subject matter and discussion. And now, in week 6, which should have actually been week 9 and our final session on this study, only one girl showed up.

The same girl who always shows up and always does her lesson. Tonight it was just us. We covered the material and then visited about life in general. I truly think I've found an amazing girlfriend through this process, but I feel like a failure because the other ladies have withered away. I pray this study made some kind of impact on each one of them, I really do.

We have 3 more weeks before we are done. I was really hoping to do another study...we'll see. But right now, I just want to say that maybe God intended me to do this for all of us for different reasons, but I found my reason in session 5. God led me somewhere I wasn't really wanting to go and it was right where I needed to be. So no matter what happens at our weekly group nights, this has been worthwhile for me and I hope it has been for the other girls too.

If you ever want to do a women's study. I strongly suggest Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman by Beth Moore. It's pretty awesome - it'll make you want to put on your suit of armor and march in God's army as the Warrior Princess we as women of God are called to be!

Like I said though, this was not meant to rag on the girls. I adore them all. Some are old friends - dear friends and some where acquaintances I now count as good friends. This has been beneficial, I know it has. I am blessed to have been involved in this and I hope we do it again. I really do.

And now I'd like to pose one question: Why is it that when life gets busy and crazy, the first thing we seem to cut out is usually the most important? i.e. our time with God....

Peace, Love & Mustard Seeds,

Whit

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Hey girl, it is really cool that you did a Bible study!! Let me know the next time you decide to do one and I would love to be apart of it!!