Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The way you know about a good melon....

Have you ever watched When Harry Met Sally?



If so, you'll know just what I'm talking about. In my humble opinion, this is one of the best romantic comedies ever. And my favorite thing about it is the couples who tell their "love stories" during transitions in the movie.



Here's my favorite couple's testimony from the film:

Woman: He was a head counselor at the boys' camp, and I was a head counselor at the girls' camp. And they had a social one night. And he walked across the room. I thought he was coming to talk to my friend Maxine, because people were always crossing rooms to talk to Maxine, but he was coming to talk to me. And he said -Man: I'm Ben Small of the Coney Island Smalls.
Woman: At that moment, I knew. I knew the way you know about a good melon.






"I knew the way you know about a good melon."



Kam is my melon. :)





As I watched this movie last night, I began to wonder how I would tell Kam & I's love story to our kids, even our grandkids someday.



I thought about my grandparents.





(Forgive the photo, it's a clipping from the newspaper, but they are still too cute!)
My Pa paid his county agent to go up to my Gran Gran at a horse show and ask her to go get a milkshake with him. She told the county agent if the boy wanted to take her out so bad he'd ask her himself. He did. That was over 60 years ago and they are still crazy in love.




From what I understand my NaNaw and TaTaw were a bit of a "scandal". She was from a "prominent" family and my TaTaw was from a family known for their wild nature. But she loved my TaTaw so very much. It showed in her eyes when she looked at him. I'll never forget the way she looked at him. I wish I knew more about their story, but I don't.


Then, I think about my folks.






My mom remembers my dad from playdays (horseshows). She said she remembers him harrassing his little sister in the stands and thinking how obnoxious he was being. They've been married 36 years now. And my dad still drives his sister crazy.




I think about my sister & brother-in-law.



They talked on the phone for weeks before they ever saw each other in person. She said the first time she saw him, he climbed out of his Dodge flatbed pickup with his pants tucked in his boots. He was still dirty from working cows that day. She was in love before his feet hit the pavement. They'll have been married 10 years in 2 days.


I will have to find out Kam's family's stories and share them as well. I can't imagine Dickie & Mid's (MawMaw & Pawpaw) being anything but sweet as they are some of the most wonderful, hilarious people I have ever met.


Anyway...





Kam is my melon. Our story on how we met?


He came to a party at my house with some of our mutual friends. We stayed up until daylight talking. We told each other EVERYthing. We became fast friends and soon there after we fell in love. (*a little secret...I knew I had fallen for him the second I saw him smile).





How did you meet your melon? I'd love to hear!


And if you haven't found him or her yet, here's hopin'!!




Peace, Love & Romance,


Whit

2 comments:

The Wife said...

Nothing real romantic as to how I met mine....first week of college. Went to the bar. Waitress came up to me and said a friend would like to meet me. I turned around and there was a table of guys! I walked over and was introduced to the husband. The rest is history!

Tye & Hayley said...

My melon kept leaving notes in my locker, and calling me my freshman year in highschool. One day I answered and we talked for hours. We have been together 7 1/2 years and married for 3 snd I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him!!